PHILIPPINE OVERSEAS LABOR OFFICE (POLO) HONG KONG
The Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Hong Kong serves as the Department of Labor and Employment’s (DOLE) overseas operating arm in the implementation of Philippine labor policies and programs for the protection of the rights and promotion of the welfare and interests of Filipinos working abroad.
The DOLE Secretary has the primary authority over the POLO officers and staff but the Philippine Consul General in Hong Kong exercise administrative supervision over the POLO HK.
The POLO HK operates under the One-Country Team Approach (OCTA) wherein all officers, representatives, and personnel of the Philippine Government in HK, act as one-country team with a mission under the leadership of the Philippine Consul General.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILILTIES
- Ensure the protection of the rights and promote the welfare and interests of overseas Filipino migrant workers and assist them in all problems arising out of employer-employee relationship;
- Promote and implement the Department’s overseas employment program, consistent with the overall policy thrust of the government;
- Verify employment contracts and other employment-related documents;
- Monitor and report to Home Office (HO) situations and policy developments in the host country that may affect Filipino migrant workers in particular and Philippine labor policies, in general;
- Supervise and coordinate the operations of the Migrant workers and Overseas Filipinos Resource Center (MWOFRC);
- Pursue needs-based community development and relations program and engage in socio-cultural activities organized by the Philippine government, host country, Filipino communities and other entities; and
- Perform other functions as may be directed by the Secretary of Labor and Employment
POLO HK Personnel and Organizational Structure
POLO HK is headed by a Labor Attache who is assisted by two (2) Labor Attache I, and two (2) Welfare Officers, seven (9) Administrative Staff, and five (4) local hires. Please see the attached organizational structure.